The Great Eagle Feather promotes recognition of shared accomplishments between parent and child.
There are 17 Feathers that appear below on the Eagle Patch on the Guides/Princesses vest.
The Patch Store sells the Eagle Feather awards and each feather must be cut out of the patch. The Chief of the Tribe or Dad decides when the feathers are given to a guide or princess.
Four Feathers guidelines for the 17 feathers and how to obtain them:
- Wise: recite the 7 AIMS – White with Red Tip
- Strong: recruit a new brave into the program – White with Blue Tip
- Respectful of others: know and recite given or Indian names of all other braves in tribe – Blue and Black Stripe.
- Proud: complete a major piece of tribal property tom-tom, chest, etc. – Green with White Tip.
- Aware: display a tribal handcraft at a public function – Yellow with Red Tip.
- Enjoy each other’s company: awarded when brave has attended 3 nation events – Brown and White Stripe.
- Disciplined: perfect attendance at Tribe meeting for an entire year – Red with Black Tip:
- Cooperative: complete a parent/child Indian handcraft which is not a meeting project, personal or tribe use – Green with Black Tip.
- Friends, not enemies: visit another tribe meeting or activity and present report to own tribe – Yellow with Black Tip.
- Respectful of the earth: complete a nature project and display and explain it at a tribal meeting – White with Brown Tip.
- Leaders: complete one term as Tribal or Nation officer – Black and Yellow Stripe.
- Proud of our community: participate in community charitable, Parade, clean-up or good-will project – Black and Red Stripe:
- Storytellers: visit a local community point of interest and report back to the tribe. i.e Firehouse, Library, Police station – Red and White Stripe.
- Thoughtful: describe a hobby or responsibility of pet care to the tribe – Blue and White Stripe.
- Respectful of traditions and history: present a report about the history of the tribe, tribe chief, or a famous event in tribe history – Black and White Stripe.
- Creative: open feather to be determined by the tribe or form alternative list below – Green and Black Stripe.
- Recite the meaning of the headband and its symbols
- Recite names of Indian months
- Memorize and draw (12) Indian symbols
- Use Indian sign language to tell a short story
- Learn about 10 tools safety care and use
- Learn basic first aid for small cuts, burns and skin irritations
- Eagle Feather: White feather with the black tip. Awarded when all other feathers have been earned. Eagle Feather award is given at the Spring Campout.
Eagle Feather Patch can be purchased from The Patch Store. When you receive the patch it includes the Eagle Feather and all the feathers as one patch (see below). Cutout the Eagle Feather award patch and all the feathers.
The Eagle Feathers as they appear on the Seneca and IL North vests:
The Eagle Feather Award for those who complete all the feathers: